Welcome!

Life Isn't About Finding Yourself, It's About Creating Yourself!

Monday 22 February 2016

Mixed Media Butterfly

Hi. Thought I would share something I have been working on over the weekend. I wanted to try doing some mixed media, something which I love the look of, but have never really got right into before. I didn't really know where to start, as after browsing You Tube my head was spinning with so many different ideas. So I thought I'd start with something simple.
I bought a couple of blank mini albums a while back, so decided I'd decorate one for myself. So far I have finished the front cover, and white washed the pages with acrylic paint. I inked a piece of watercolour card with Distress inks, blending purples with blue. I spritzed the whole sheet with water, and shimmer mists. I then brushed some acrylic mixed with Distress ink lightly over this. I cut a panel for the front cover, and also the butterfly and honeycomb die from this one sheet. I added some texture to the front panel with embossing paste, which once dry I then spritzed with more shimmer mists, and then sponged over more of my inks. The edges of the panel and the butterfly were heat embossed with purple metallic embossing powder. I added the stamped sentiment to an offcut of the watercolour card.
 Its starting to take shape and so far I am really pleased with the results. Looking forward to getting it all finished and being able to add some special photos inside.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs Sonia xxx






10 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia,
    I love your Mixed Media butterfly, you have done better than me,i bought all the stuff but spend more time on pinterest looking for inspiration than i do actually 'doing' anything!!
    The thing that worries me is knowing when to stop!! Haha,
    You have inspired me to have a go !!
    Its so lovely having you as part of our blog family
    Hugs
    Sandra
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I got a lot of inspiration from YouTube and just went with the flow! :-) Looking forward to seeing what you create. Have fun :-)
      Thank you for welcoming me into your blog, it's lovely to be a part of.
      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Sonia, oh this is wonderful and I love the colours and the huge butterfly. You have made a fabulous work for someone not knowing what she doing :-)
    Happy crafting,
    hugs Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. It was great fun to do and will definitely be doing some more mixed media projects :-)
      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh wonderful mixed medium colors and design Sonia.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow how did I miss this fantastic work Sonia, love this mix media you created, fabulous textures and colours.
    Will have to have a go one day!
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Pam. It was great fun to do :-)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Really appreciate you visiting my blog.
Thank you so much for any comments you leave :-)
Hugs xxx